logo

PRINCE ALBERT - MAY 13, 2017

The Prince Albert Catholic School Division was proud to celebrate 130 years of Catholic Education, embracing faith and learning. Catholic Education began in Prince Albert, 20 years after confederation.

Father André Alexis, Oblate, was the first one to establish the Catholic Mission in 1879 in Prince Albert with the help of the Sisters of Faithful Companions of Jesus. Father André’s log house became the first private Catholic school in 1883. Four years after it was named the Prince Albert Roman Catholic Separate School District No.6 with the proclamation signed by Queen Victoria. It is one of the oldest school divisions in the province out of eight Catholic School Divisions.

Since the beginnings, the enrollment has grown from 30 students in 1887 to approximately 3200 students in 2017. The Catholic Schools have offered high quality Catholic education with gospel values and church teachings.

On Saturday, teachers, parents, students and trustees took part in a 130th Anniversary Eucharistic celebration held at the Sacred Heart Cathedral. It was officiated by the bishop of Prince Albert, Albert Thévenot, M. Afr., accompanied by other priests. In his homily the bishop pointed out ‘‘we are searching as Catholics, seek for a purpose of life, have hope for the future and respond to God’s call by sharing these values.’’

A banquet followed the Eucharistic celebration at St. Mary’s High School. After the guest speakers, the Director of Education, Lorel Trumier, PARCSSD No. 6, gave her closing remarks adding ‘’ What we do in our Catholic schools is more than just class, we have the opportunity to embrace faith and learning, and we feel that we are building engaged citizens for the kingdom of God.’’